Protect Yourself, Protect Your Rights. It Isn’t Just a Misdemeanor.

Criminal Law Blog

When Does a Car Accident Become a Crime Scene?

October 13, 2017

Car accidents happen all the time, and the majority are minor collisions that can be resolved with simple insurance claims and car repairs. Sometimes, however, car accidents can lead to serious injuries and court cases where criminal charges are involved. So when does a typical car accident become the scene of a crime? Let’s take a closer look at some circumstances where charges may arise after a car accident.

When Injuries Occur

Injuries can quickly complicate the process of determining who is at fault for an accident, and they often lead to more contentious court cases, because injured parties are likely seeking compensation to cover their medical bills. If it is shown that injuries were caused by aggressive or reckless driving, the responsible party may not only have to pay for the costs incurred by the injuries, but also face criminal charges.

When a Driver Flees

Even in a minor collision, a driver who flees the scene of the accident before providing personal information can be charged with a hit-and-run. If you are involved in an accident where the driver flees the scene, record any information you can about the vehicle and the driver and call the police right away.

When Alcohol Is Involved

The moment someone operates a vehicle under the influence of alcohol, he or she is committing a crime. If an accident results, the individual under the influence will likely be found at fault, facing a minimum sentence of license suspension, jail time, and hefty fines.

If you have been involved in a car accident that has become wrapped up with criminal charges, find the defense you need with Janet Altschuler, Attorney at Law. To schedule an appointment where you can discuss your case with Ms. Altschuler, call (520) 247-1789 today. For a closer look at Ms. Altschuler’s practice areas and experience, visit her website.

Schedule a Free Initial Consultation to Discuss Your Situation.

Complete our online contact form
or call us at 520-247-1789

(24 hours a day / 7 days a week)